Information about the National Student Survey (NSS) can be found in the National Student survey (NSS) section.

Employment Data

The Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey.

The Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey asks those who have recently completed higher education courses about their current activity, which may be working, studying, looking for work or even travelling.

Those who are employed are asked for a description of their role and the type of employer they work for to allow their job to be categorised.  They are also asked how much they earn.

As well as providing information to prospective students about the destinations and earnings of those previously completing courses they are considering applying for, the data collected helps to give a picture of patterns of further study and how destinations differ across subjects.

Publicly-funded universities and private providers of higher education survey their students under direction from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), while Further Education Colleges (FECs) delivering higher education courses either run the survey themselves or use a contractor to do this.  Where a course is delivered in partnership with a university, the students are included in the university's DLHE survey data.

Students are surveyed roughly six months after completing their course and response rates are high, with around 80% of eligible graduates responding.  The information collected in the survey is self-reported by students, or by other people they have nominated to respond on their behalf.

A further survey, the Longitudinal DLHE, follows up a sample of these respondents three and a half years (40 months) later.  The response rate to this is about 40%.

Data from both surveys is displayed on Unistats, with the data for the Longitudinal DLHE being shown for all courses in the subject at a national level.  This is because only a sample of graduates are surveyed, whereas the earlier survey includes all eligible graduates.

In the DLHE survey, jobs that graduates report doing are classified using the Standard Occupational Classification 2010 (SOC2010) system. (Opens in a new window.) The SOC system has nine groupings.

  • Managers, directors and senior officials
  • Professional occupations
  • Associate professional and technical occupations
  • Administrative and secretarial occupations
  • Skilled trades occupations
  • Caring. leisure and other service occupations
  • Sales and customer service occupations
  • Process, plant and machine operatives
  • Elementary occupations

The first three groups are used to define "professional or managerial jobs" as shown on Unistats.

Below the charts which show the information from the DLHE survey on the percentage of students who have gone on to work and/or study, there is a link to information about what support the university or college offers to students in terms of employability and transition into employment.

Back to top

Course Accreditation

All courses included on Unistats allow those who complete them successfully to gain recognised UK qualifications.  Some courses, or in some cases departments or whole universities and colleges, will have additional accreditation awarded to them by another body.

Sometimes, completing an accredited course is a requirement to allow you to join a particular profession; for example, doctors must complete courses accredited by the General Medical council.  In other cases, it may indicate that the course:

  • Allows graduates to join professional bodies, grants them chartered status, exempts them from professional examinations.
  • Prepares them to work in certain professions or meet the expectations of employers in particular sectors.

The statement describing the accreditation on Unistats will explain the benefit obtained by pursuing a course with that accreditation.  You can click on this statement to see a fuller explanation on the accrediting body's website.

Some accrediting bodies have statutory authority over a profession or group of professionals. For example, the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) provides standards, training and support of architecture and architects across the UK.  It monitors compliance with internationally recognised minimum standards in architectural education, and identifies courses and examinations which achieve these standards necessary to prepare students for professional practice.

Back to top

Entry Requirements

Each university or college has different entry requirements for their courses and qualifications accepted can vary. Universities and colleges express entry requirements in a variety of ways. An offer will often be expressed as a minimum grade, or set of grades, depending on the qualifications you are taking, or as a total number of  UCAS Tariff Points.

An offer may also include a minimum grade in a specific subject or qualification. Some institutions take additional information into consideration, such as contextual data about where you went to school or where you live, and may make you a different offer than the minimum specified on their website. A number of universities and colleges will also consider applications from potential students with no formal qualifications but who have experience that is relevant to the course.

In addition to academic and vocational qualifications, some courses have additional non-academic requirements that you will need to satisfy before you start your course, in order to enable you to follow your chosen career when you graduate.

The Unistats website shows the types of qualifications students who were previously enrolled on the course had achieved.

These are not necessarily the only qualifications that will be accepted for entry onto the course and you should check the information provided on the university or college website for full details.

Back to top

UCAS Tariff Points

The Unistats website shows the UCAS Tariff points held by the students who were previously enrolled on the course. These are not necessarily the current minimum entry requirements for the course and you should check the university or college website for full information.

The UCAS Tariff is the system for allocating points to qualifications used for entry to higher education. Universities and colleges can use the UCAS Tariff to make comparisons between applicants with different qualifications. Tariff points are often used in entry requirements, although other factors will often be taken into account by universities and colleges when deciding whether to offer you a place.

The UCAS Tariff changed for courses starting from September 2017. The new Tariff uses a different numeric scale to allow more qualifications to be added. We currently display entry data for students starting the course in 2014-16 and we map the old tariff points to the new tariff so that prospective students can compare with information about courses starting in 2018 which is expressed in the new tariff.

For further information on the UCAS Tariff, see the UCAS website. (Opens in a new window.)

Back to top